Friday, May 13, 2005

There's a reason fat people are fat

And it's usually nothing to do with glands.

Take today. Walking ahead of me toward an elevator that goes up a maximum of two floors and next to it a fat person had to choose between the elevator and a set of stairs that goes up the same distance. I took the stairs but the fat person took the elevator.

I'm pushing 60 and at my age keeping the pounds off, if it's been a problem the rest of your life, is extra hard. So, I no longer have a car and have a bicycle instead. If the weather or the distance has me opting out of a bike ride, I'll at least take a bus, which involves some walking.

I no longer have that second helping of mashed potatoes and I've learned to enjoy open-faced sandwiches. My alcohol of choice is dry red wine now, not the rich delicious ale the Pacific Northwest is so famous for.

I dated a nurse for a while and once we saw some woman waddling down the street who must have weighed at least 400 lb, and the nurse said, "You know, they say it's glands, but no one can keep that kind of weight on at 1000 calories a day."

While on the one hand I don't believe we should publicly ridicule or humiliate fat people, I'm not one to go along with "fat is where it's at." Fat people are fat because they eat more calories than they burn.
True, some have almost hopelessly screwed up their metabolisms through crazy dieting, but even so, as the nurse said, there is some caloric intake level where the body has to start burning fat instead.

And let's not forget the role of exercise. By using up calories, it aids the diet in taking the pounds off. It's also good for one's overall health. There are few downsides to getting plenty of exercise.

Find it and burn it, fat people! I'm not giving you any excuses.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger Nealobus said...

You are truly one facinating cat and smart to boot. I've got my eye on you mister ;-)

Keep it up. We need more people out there like you.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger undiscussablerealms said...

amen to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home